About Saint Catherine’s Music Ministry
Music is alive and well and St Catherine’s! Below is a little bit of what we’re about, some of the volunteer opportunities that are available.
Music Ministry is about helping the faith community to worship together. Music has a unique power to unite people while opening them up to the Holy Spirit. Music ministers use their gifts, fostered in prayer and practice, to express and deepen their own faith and to provide opportunities for others to also express and deepen their faith. Music ministry, while having some things in common with secular musical performance, remains unique in that the art of the music we make is always a ministry first; it is for the glory of God and is about the community’s relationship with God.
Where do I fit In?
Music ministers are almost all volunteers. Though the quality of music is good here because of the talent and dedication of our ministers, the greater emphasis is on service, welcome, and ministry as an expression of one’s faith. Music ministers here are a welcoming bunch and are mindful of being a community within a community.
There are a large number of opportunities for musicians with abilities ranging from just being able to carry a tune with help to professionals with years of experience. Interested individuals are always encouraged to approach our music director for help finding their niche. While there are many Masses that are covered by mix and match groups of people, the established regular groups include:
- The Sounds of Siena Choir (Young adult on up) ministers from All Saints (Nov. 1st) to Pentecost. Vocalists from those who can carry a tune on up and instrumentalists of all sorts are welcome. Generally the commitment is for the whole choir year and includes Wednesday night rehearsals and a Mass about very other weekend as well many of the key celebrations throughout the year. Most instrumentalists and some vocalists choose only to participate in a few services a year.
- The Youth Choir (Junior and Senior High School age) ministers once a month on the 3rd Sunday 11AM Mass and rehearses on the 2nd Sunday after the 11AM Mass. Instrumentalist and vocalists of varying abilities are always welcome.
- Cantoring (High school age on up.) This ministry refers to those who are solid enough in their vocal ability that they can be the only vocalist. The cantor’s ministry includes greeting people at the beginning of Mass, teaching new songs before Mass, singing the psalm, and gesturing to aid assembly in their sung parts, and leading the prayers of the faithful. Even in larger ministry groups, the cantor can often be readily identified, though sometimes the responsibilities are shared.
- Families Choir Family members can serve together at the 11am Mass once a month. See the Music Minister Resources page for the schedule.
- Mix and match The are many other ways to be involved with various mix and match groups as singers and instrumentalists. We are creative with our music and our scheduling!
Contact our music director, Bob Sandford for more information and to volunteer.